Is Facial Recognition Technology The Real Future Of Security?
March 21st, 2019
Already, facial recognition technology has become a big factor in certain tech sectors. In particular, mobile phone users are able to utilize facial recognition as a way to unlock and lock their devices. But will this technology go further? Surprisingly, Pittsburgh business owners may want to take a look at what it can offer to them and consider the pros and cons of it.
A World Of Possibilities
Facial recognition technology really has opened up so many possibilities. While it was originally going to be used mainly to pick out criminals in crowds, today it has found many additional applications in Pittsburgh businesses and around the world. For example:
- It can be used to track customer behavior or identify shoplifters.
- It can replace badges as a way to manage access control in a property
- Social media can notify people when their photos have been posted
- It can allow contactless, non-invasive access control
- It helps speed up many employee activities within an infrastructure
- It can be used to access, deactivate, or use various aspects of a security system
Simply put, those in the Pittsburgh area looking to maximize their adoption of modern tech and apply it to their current systems will want to consider facial recognition technology.
How Does It Work?
Basically, modern facial recognition tech works by using biometrics to map facial features from a photograph or video. Then, those images are used to match up with other images in a database. While it was once barely usable, today’s recognition software can match up faces with a staggering 99 percent accuracy, making it one of the go-to options for those who want the benefits that it can provide.
Getting The Most From It
In order to get the most from facial recognition software and your surveillance system, you’ll need to take certain steps to make sure you are investing your time and energy properly. For example:
- Ensure that all existing and new security cameras are installed in the right location for maximum coverage.
- Link facial recognition software into the existing system and apply it to the different components you need it used for.
- Consult with a security professional to determine the right system features and to ensure that all aspects of your system are linked together.
These simple steps are the three fundamental factors to pay attention to when installing your system. Always consult with a security expert to ensure that you are able to get the best possible results from your system and the setup you have installed.
Is It The Future?
While it’s still not embraced around the world on a 100% basis, most experts agree that facial recognition software will gradually become a bigger part of all security systems in residential and commercial settings. As such, adopting it early on can help ensure that you are able to get the most from it and prepare yourself for what it involves - and keep your Pittsburgh business safe in the process.